In 2019, Amazon co-founded The Climate Pledge — a commitment to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2040. While an ambitious goal, that aims 10 years ahead of the Paris Agreement, Amazon’s founder and CEO Jeff Bezos says that the Pledge is critical to “help preserve the environment for future generations.” To date, 31 major companies (e.g., Verizon, Coca-Cola, Microsoft) have boldly signed the agreement as well.
In addition to getting support from the big-name players, Amazon is inviting its sellers to make a positive impact on the planet by participating in an affiliated program called ‘Climate Pledge Friendly.’ Read on to learn more about the initiative, how your brand can apply, and why joining will help your products stand out.
All About Climate Pledge Friendly
Put simply, Climate Pledge Friendly makes it easy for Amazon shoppers to discover more sustainable products. Amazon does this by having Climate Pledge Friendly products clearly labeled in search results, adding sustainability information on the product detail page, and featuring items in a dedicated storefront page, here. Climate Pledge Friendly selection can also be found across multiple categories, from grocery, household and fashion, to beauty, personal electronics products, and more.
How To Qualify for Climate Pledge Friendly
To qualify your products for Climate Pledge Friendly status, you must fulfill either of the following:
- Your product is certified by at least one of Amazon’s external third-party certifications. Review Amazon’s list of certifications to find which ones match your product type or sustainability aspiration and work with the certifier directly to embark on the process. Amazon receives updates from the certifiers themselves to identify Climate Pledge Friendly products, so once you are certified, your brand shouldn’t need to make any changes to your product data on Amazon to be included in Climate Pledge Friendly.
- Your product is Certified by Amazon’s own Compact by Design certification. A newer aspect of the program, Compact by Design underscores how with the removal of excess air and water, products require less packaging, become more efficient to ship, and at scale, lead to significant carbon emission reductions. To qualify for Compact by Design, products must have best-in-class “unit efficiency”. Amazon uses product attributes such as item package dimensions, item weight, and the number of units to calculate the unit efficiency of a product. Find more details here.
Why Your Brand Should Take the Steps to Participate
So should your brand participate? If your products qualify, the answer is definitely YES. Here are some reasons why:
- It supports brand awareness. By participating, you further signal your brand’s commitment to combating climate change. Not only that, but you can also reach more of your target customers who are searching for sustainable products. Beyond aligning with Amazon’s SEO algorithm and implementing paid advertising, this is another useful tool to ensure your products are top-of-mind for shoppers.
- It drives more sales. According to Forbes, 92% of consumers are more likely to trust a brand that supports social or environmental issues. Given this, consumers will be more likely to purchase your products if they find them via Climate Pledge Friendly’s storefront or if they see its green symbol/text on your product detail page.
- It’s free! The Climate Pledge Friendly program is open to all sellers and brands that operate on the marketplace. Plus, there is no fee to participate. Why not give it a shot?!
Should you have any additional questions about Climate Pledge Friendly, please connect with me here. I would be happy to discuss how many of our clients have benefited from participating!